My Year 11 Ball Look

Tuesday, 2 July 2013

Hi there!

Last Friday (the 28th) was my Year 11 Ball or Prom, whatever you prefer to call it. I know lots of people like to go big for events like this - some people even consider there Prom dress to be just as important as their Wedding dress! But me, I just didn't want to spend too much on my outfit. I know some people who have spent over £300 on their Outfit, Hair and Make-up, which is frankly ridiculous! 

Outfit




Dress: Jane Norman (£60.00), Shoes: New Look (£24.99), Bag: New Look (£14.99 - two years ago). 


Hair



I had my hair styled professionally at my hair dressers, which was quite expensive but Mum allowed it seeing as I hadn't spent too much on my dress. At first I had no idea what I wanted to do with my hair and, after Google-ing different websites and searching for so long, I came across this video on Fleur De Force's YouTube channel for her wedding (BrideDeForce), it is the style that her Bridesmaids will have. 


I really loved the knotting detail as it was something different to a regular plait. Although I don't have as much hair as Hannah in the video, or a middle parting, me and my hair dresser worked it out quite well I think. Unfortunately the plait/knots aren't really obvious in the photo above - sorry about that I forgot to take a decent picture because of all the excitement! Obviously we modified the back as, after I had my trial hair, the back fell out quite quickly. I either didn't have enough hair left or mine is too fine. Sad times. On the night though it did stay in absolutely fine. I think the overall look in this video is just...bellissimo! 

Make Up



Can I just apologise for the weird pout I'm pulling in this picture? Anyway, I wanted to keep my make-up fairly simple with a greater emphasis on my eyes rather than my lips.

Rimmel London Stay Matte Powder and
Wake Me Up Foundation.
I started by applying my foundation, I used the Rimmel London Wake Me Up foundation. I actually used a sample I got from a magazine as I didn't want to go and buy it and then not like it, but I am definitely going to buy a proper bottle now! It feels so weightless against your skin it literally feels like you are wearing no foundation. I then used Rimmel London Stay Matte press powder to keep my face from getting shiny later in the night. I used the Translucent powder as I just wanted to cover the foundation not change the colour of it.

     
Beauty UK Palette 1
 Next I moved on to my eye make-up. As my dress had gold beading on it I opted to use browns and golds for my eye shadow. I started by applying a thin layer of vaseline to my eye lid as it helps to keep the eye shadow in place. Then I applied a layer of the gold colour (bottom left of   the palette) over my whole eye lid. If you don't put too much powder on your brush at one time it stops excess powder falling beneath your eye, which has happened to me in the past. I then blended the dark brown (top left) colour into the crease of my eye to make them stand out more. Finally putting a tiny bit of the cream/off-white (top row, second from left) colour in the corner of my eye - near my nose - just to lighten the overall colour of the make-up.

       
Collection 2000 eyeliner 
I applied a thin line of black eyeliner, which was the Collection 2000 Extreme 24 hour felt tip liner, across the top of my eye lid. Now, the only problem with this is that it is not waterproof. If, like me, your eyes water easily in the wind then I recommend getting a waterproof eyeliner as my friend had to keep fixing mine!


Seventeen and Max Factor Mascara
I completed my eye make-up by applying Doll'd Up mascara by Seventeen on my upper lashes and Max Factor 2000 Calorie to my lower lashes. I'm not sure why I use different mascaras to be honest, the doll'd up mascara curls your eyelashes and doesn't quite work on lower lashes. Where as the Max Factor on is waterproof so if my eyes water is doesn't run. The only reason I have the doll'd up mascara is because I had a Boots voucher that meant that it was £2.00 instead of £6.29. However, I do not regret this purchase.

Usually I don't wear lipstick as it normally rubs of quite quick but I decided to use some for a change. I used the No7 Moisture Drench in the colour 'Divine' (05 on the tube, 7 on the website). I have just realised that I am actually not wearing it in the picture above so, sorry about that!

No7 Lipstick


Anyway, that sums up my Prom look. I hope you enjoyed reading, leave me a comment telling me what you think!

- Amy Caitlin xo