There is something I don't understand...

Wednesday, 26 June 2013

Hi there!

PRE-WARNING: this blog will go into a serious topic, but it is entirely my opinion. 

 

I was on twitter today and, I don't know if other people do this, when I'm bored I look through people's photos and videos. Today I happened to look through Bertie Bert G's posts and I came across a music video by Macklemore & Ryan Lewis. Now a lot of people reading this probably thought of their single 'Thrift Shop' - I'm not. 





I am talking about the song called 'Same Love' which features Mary Lambert. This song is about how people deal with being gay and how the world around them treats them for being who they truly are. In a nutshell it's a song to show that they support marriage equality. 




I fell in love with this song and completely agree with the message that it is giving and I am actually proud that Macklemore & Ryan Lewis released this single. 

Now, when reading the comments I saw that so many people having arguments over whether being gay is right or not and whether it has to do with religion or not. Personally I agree with the lyric:
 "It's human rights for everybody, there is no difference!"
To me there is no difference between people who are gay or not, there is nothing wrong with them liking the same gender. I even read one comment that said "being gay is like beastality". It is nothing like it! We are of the same race, someone who is gay is still part of the human race - we all have the same skeletons. 

I don't know whether I think this because I know several gay people or the fact that I am only sixteen and haven't seen as much of the world as other people. To me, if I meet someone who is gay, I accept it as part of them: no questions asked. 

But what I don't understand is how other people think it is unnatural. I am so confused with the Governments having massive debates over whether or not to legalise gay marriage. In my opinion if two people - of the same sex - want to be together then they should be able to legally. 

Also I don't get how people can be hurtful to those who are just true to themselves. Being someone who has recently finished secondary school, I know how hard it is for a regular teenager to make it through unharmed. So, for someone to be openly gay it must be ten times as hard. It is people who are hurtful which cause some people, who are gay, to take so long to tell everyone around them and some people go to extraordinary lengths just so other people don't know the real them. I witnessed people bullying a guy because he was openly gay but it is people like them that make some people not want to be on this earth anymore.

I know that a lot of people don't like people being gay because it is something that they are taught through their religion. However, being someone who doesn't believe in God or heaven or anything relating to Christianity, looking at that group of people I see it as a form of conformity. I don't want to be rude but this is my case:
I posted a comment on this video saying "Everyone should have equal rights no matter what race or sexuality they are. If two people love each other they should be able to legally be together"
This is my own opinion, no one else's, and yet some guy replied saying this: 
"Shut up b***h! What about the children who are going to be infected by this rubbish? My poor kids are going to have to see two men kissing each other, what the flying f**k?" 
(obviously it was worse grammar).

And this guy deleted his comment so I couldn't even tell him that I was a child. It is this sort of people that infuriate me to no end and I really don't see how people can think this. It's the same as racism, who decided that white people were better than black people; who decided that being gay is unnatural? 

If anyone has an answer for me then leave a comment, but a I would like to remind anyone reading this that this is MY opinion. Although, I would like to hear other people's views on this topic and I would also strongly suggest reading the lyrics to "Same Love" as they essentially sum up my ramblings on here. 

That is all. :) 
- Amy Caitlin xo